02 May, 2024
1 min read

Rana Plaza: Shaheena*

I woke up in my grave before I died. Not once, but time and darkening time again. I’d heard the floor explode and then the space that was the room changed places with the wall. I was drowned in brick, was gripped, was turned to dust, became a mote of broken plaster, became the blinded […]

2 mins read

NAACP Declares “Our Lives Matter, Our Votes Count”

News Brief State Senator Gary Winfield (D-New Haven, West Haven) offered a call for understanding for African American youth, who rail with passion against discrimination, in his inspiring keynote speech at the 2016 New Britain NAACP Freedom Fund Dinner. The theme for the celebration was, “Our Lives Matter, Our Votes Count”. Winfield pointed out that […]

1 min read

NAACP Harmony Classic this Weekend

The Connecticut NAACP is hosting its Harmony Classic at Central Connecticut State University this weekend. The Harmony Classic is a combination of civic engagement and football. The Harmony Classic football game is between CCSU and Bowie State University on Saturday, September 17th at CCSU’s Arute Field. The game will begin at 3:00 pm and the […]

1 min read

New Britain Celebrates the 2016 Puerto Rican Festival

Festive music filled the air, along with the aroma of delicious food and plenty of good cheer at New Britain’s 2016 Puerto Rican Festival. The weather was hot and sunny, as people listened to live music, enjoyed pina coladas and celebrated Puerto Rican culture. New Britain’s Puerto Rican festival is a long standing tradition in the […]

1 min read

Black Ministerial Alliance to Hold a Unity Service

News Brief The Black Ministerial Alliance of New Britain will hold a Unity Community Service on Friday, August 26th. The service is dedicated to the theme of “Reviving the Heart of our Community through Unity”. The Guest Preacher for  service, which will begin at 7pm, will be Supt. Dr. Ron Surrey, Pastor of New Mount Olive COGIC Church. […]

5 mins read

East Side Restaurant Brings Munich To New Britain

By Sheridan Cyr Lifestyles Editor Throughout the city of New Britain are countless gems that hold incredibly rich culture. East Side Restaurant is one of those gems where guests can enjoy a true German experience in a breathtakingly beautiful and true-to-its-colors setting. The two-tier building, located at 131 Dwight St., gives the guest a handful […]

3 mins read

Regulars Welcomed at Captain Al’s Kitchen

By Sheridan Cyr Lifestyles Editor The tiny, hole-in-the-wall diner, Captain Al’s Kitchen, brings home-style comfort to breakfast and lunch. Located at 1003 East St. in New Britain, the restaurant has seen several owners over the years, but has stayed true to their heart: serving delicious food to patrons and keeping them coming back. Current owner […]

3 mins read

New Britain Public Pools and Splash Pads Open for the 2023 Summer Season

The hot summer months of 2023 are here and New Britain city pools and splash pads are open, providing relief from the heat and summer fun. The pools in New Britain’s Willow Brook Park Pool and A.W. Stanley Park Pool opened on June 17, 2023 at 1:00pm and are to close on August 12th at […]