The Sixth Annual Hoops for the Homeless benefit basketball tournament will be held on April 28th, 2018.
The event’s website says that the event is,
a three-on-three basketball tournament started in New Britain to benefit homeless youth. The event is organized by a board of local volunteers. All proceeds from this event are given to local projects that directly address homelessness of children and families in our cities. Priority will be given to projects that directly work to alleviate child homelessness. We hope you will join us.
The tournament, held in downtown New Britain, has been an annual tradition, drawing cheering crowds and enthusiastic players.
People are allowed to register their own team, or register as an individual looking for a team to play with.
Teams compete in one of six different divisions:
- The “Rookies” is for children in grades 4 and 5. Games for this division start at 9:30am.
- The “Jr. All-Stars” division is for kids in grades 6 to 8. This division’s games start at 9:30am.
- The “All-Stars” division is for youth, in grades 9 through 12. This division’s games begins at 11:00am.
- The “Ballers” division is a semi-competitive adult, some high school experience division. Games for this division begin at 11:00am.
- The “Hot Shots” division is a competitive adult, college experience, athletic division, and this division’s games start at 11:00am.
- The “Superstars” division is a non-competitive, co-ed, fun-focused division. Its games start at 11:00am.
The Hoops for the Homeless website says that team check-in time is 9:30am to 10:30am and that the event runs from 10:30am to 3:00pm.
Tournament rules are posted on the event website. The event website says that the format includes a, “Minimum of 3 games played in round robin format followed by playoffs.”
Registration for the tournament is available through an online registration form. That online form says that the registration fee is $50 for a team and $15 for an individual player. The Hoops for he Homeless website also has a page that allows people to download a printable copy of the registration form and waiver.
The organization’s website says that, “No team will be turned down due to lack of funds, but we encourage youth teams to be sponsored by local organizations. Teams can receive a waiver by volunteering to help organize the event. Please contact us for details.”
The deadline for tournament registration is April 20th, 2018
There is also a PayPal site allowing people to the make donations to the Hoops for the Homeless fundraising appeal.
In addition to the tournament games, there will be a “Celebratory Lunch” from 3:00pm to 5:00pm the day after the tournament, on April 29, 2018. The organization says that,
Trophies will be distributed to the winning teams, and food will be served. There will also be Guest Speaker, Jamelle Elliot. She is a former member of the UCONN Womens Basketball team and a 6th time National Champion. She currently Coaches the Women’s Baskteball team at University of Cincinatti and is a Motivational Speaker.
The lunch will be at the Unity Lodge, 148 A.F&A.M, at 10 Mason Drive. Tickets to the lunch are $20. For details about the lunch, people are being asked to contact Adrian Elliott at 860-881-7801.
The rain date for the basketball tournament is April 29th.