Registration for kindergarten is open in New Britain for the 2017-18 school year. Registration is at the school district’s Central Registration office, at 183 Steele Street, located behind Slade Middle School.
Children who will be five years old prior to or on January 1, 2018 are eligible for 2017-18 kindergarten classes. To register their children, parents need to provide proof of residence in New Britain by bringing with them to registration one of the following in the parent’s name:
- Light bill
- Gas bill
- Mortgage statement
The Consolidated School District of New Britain says that, “If living with someone else, a letter from the person owning or renting the home, and their proof of residency is acceptable.”
Other information needed for registration is the child’s:
- Birth certificate
- Health Assessment Record (with immunizations)
- Education records from previous schools
Providing the child’s Social Security Card is optional, but proof of income is needed for preschool registration.
Registration hours at the Central Registration office are 8:30am to 2:00pm, Monday through Thursday, and on Fridays, from 8:30am to 12:00 noon. During office hours, a Spanish translator is available, and Polish and Arabic translation is available by arrangement with the Central Registration Registrar.
The school district has also announced kindergarten orientation sessions on two dates:
- On Tuesday, August 22nd:
- DiLoreto Elementary & Middle School, from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
- Holmes Elementary School, from 6:00pm to 7:00pm
- Jefferson Elementary School, from 6:00pm to 7:00pm
- Northend Elementary School, time is to be determined
- Vance Elementary School, from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
- Thursday, August 24th:
- Chamberlain Elementary School, on Thursday, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm
- Gaffney Elementary School, from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
- Lincoln Elementary School, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm
- Smalley Academy – Roosevelt Early Learning Center, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm
- Smith Elementary School, from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
Additional information is available from the Central Registration office at 860-223-5501 or by visiting the school district’s website.