Houston Astros All-Star and New Britain native, George Springer, together with the New Britain Bees, Siracusa Moving and Storage, Premier Limousine and others, are calling for New Britain to join together for a “Pack the Truck” drive to collect needed supplies to help people affected by the devastation of Hurricane Harvey.
The “Pack the Truck” event will be at New Britain Stadium on Friday, September 8th, 2017 at 1:00pm.
“On behalf of the Springer Family, we encourage your support for the victims of the devastation in Houston,” said Springer. “We appreciate your generosity in this time of need. No contribution is too small.”
The flyer promoting the campaign says,
With the recent devastation to the City of Houston, TX caused by Hurricane Harvey, New Britain native, George Springer of the Houston Astros is teaming up with his family, Siracusa Moving & Storage, New Britain Bees, Premier Limousine, Connecticut Blue Jays and other local New Britain businesses to collect donations to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey.
“Our hearts are with all that have been affected by the flooding in Texas,” said Bees majority owner Anthony Iacovone. “We hope that others will join New Britain in giving something to help the residents of Houston and the surrounding areas get through this terrible time.”
Donations are being accepted at three locations, starting Tuesday, September 5th. Drop-off locations include:
- At New Britain Stadium at 230 John Karbonic Way, where drop off hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm
- At Siracusa Moving & Storage at 250 Commerce Circle in New Britain, where drop off hours are any time from 7:00am to 7:00pm.
- At Premier Limousine, at 76 Fuller Way in Berlin, where drop off hours are 9:00am to 4:00pm
The NAACP New Britain Branch is encouraging participation in the “Pack the Truck” campaign. “New Britain NAACP joins this effort and encourages you also to join in,” said New Britain NAACP President Ronald P. Davis. “It is the thing to do!”
The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Ancient Order of Hibernians and the New Britain Irish Social Club say that they will also be accepting donations at the New Britain Irish Social Club (NBISC), which is at 39 South Street. The NBISC says that, “You can drop your donations off at the club during business hours no later than Thursday night, September 7, 2017.”
Donations requested include:
- Items for babies, such as wipes, diapers, baby food, formula, Bottles and clothes
- Food, especially items that allow easy accessibility and anything non perishable in boxes, but not glass products.
- Gatorade or Powerade, liquid or powder
- Canned foods, such as beans, fruit and tuna
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Granola bars and crackers
- Blankets and air mattresses
- Flash lights
- Dog food and cat food
- Clothing, such as sweatshirts, pants and new packages of socks and underwear of any size
- Personal hygiene products, such as tooth brushes, tooth paste, shampoo/conditioner, body soap, deodorant, feminine products, toilet paper and razors
Editor’s note, 9/5/2017: The comments from President Davis of the NAACP New Britain Branch were added.