New Britain Youth Theater plans to celebrate a “Summer of Love” with its performances in the summer of 2017.
Romeo and Juliet
The Teen Company of the central Connecticut youth theater will perform Shakespeare’s romantic tragedy, Romeo and Juliet, on the grounds of the nationally-acclaimed New Britain Museum of American Art (NBMAA) at 56 Lexington Street in New Britain.
Shakespeare’s most popularly read and performed tragedy tells the story of two star-crossed lovers, the age-old feud between their families, and the effect that their relationship has on friends and family alike. The NBYT production will be set in 1967 in recognition of the fiftieth anniversary of the “Summer of Love,” and it will be inspired by the popular culture, counter-culture, and political and social turmoil of that time. Popular music that was recorded, released, or charted in 1967 will underscore the production.
Performance dates at the Museum will be:
- Thursday, June 22 7:00pm
- Friday, June 23 7:00pm
- Sunday, June 25 at 2:00pm
Audiences at the NBMAA performances may bring blankets or lawn chairs to sit on, and are welcome to bring refreshments of their own. Concessions will also be sold at the Museum performances.
An additional performance will be held on Saturday, June 24, at 7:00pm at the historic Berlin Congregational Church at 878 Worthington Ridge in Berlin.
A donation of $5 per person is suggested for admission.
The Lion King Jr
The summer production of The Lion King Jr is still accepting children ages 5 to 14 for participation.
- Rehearsals for cast members ages 7 to 14 will be held over a four-week half-day program on Mondays through Fridays from July 3 through 28 (except July 4). Program hours are 9:00am to 1:00pm.
- Although the full program is limited to ages 7 to 14, a limited number of children ages 5 and 6 will join the program during the final week to be part of the cast.
- All children who register will be cast in the show, and performances will be held on July 28, 29 and 30.
- Rehearsals and performances will be held at Holmes Elementary School in New Britain.
- Cost for the four-week program is $400, and the one-week program for ages 5 and 6 is $100.
More program and performance details, registration forms to download and print, and general information about New Britain Youth Theater, can be found on the theater company’s website at www.nbyt.org, email email@example.com, or call 860-515-8115.