New Britain’s Little Poland Festival is just days away, on April 30th, and excitement grows for the celebration of Polish culture, cuisine and community.
The festival, on Broad Street, drew twenty thousand visitors in 2016, and excitement is growing for this year’s event.
Adding more official importance to the festival, the Honorable Maciej Golubiewski, the Consul General of the Republic of Poland in New York, will be welcomed by Little Poland at the Festival.
The Polonia Business Association has also announced that it will honor Rev. Msgr. Daniel J. Plocharczyk of Little Poland’s Sacred Heart Church as a “Little Poland Ambassador”, saying:
“The vibrant Sacred Heart parish is truly the heart of Little Poland. We particularly appreciate the success of Sacred Heart School and the various holy traditions kept by the Church including the Good Friday procession of the Stations of the Cross, a live Nativity scene during Christmas Eve midnight mass and the annual blessing of Easter baskets.”
Just as in the past, guests at this year’s festival can expect delicious food, entertainment and activities. As the event website (www.littlepolandfest.com) says:
“With leaping folk dancers, live music, arts and crafts, unique shopping, amazing food, costumed characters, carnival rides and activities for the young and young at heart, the Little Poland Festival is one of the fastest growing family friendly festivals of its kind in Connecticut. And the best part? Admission is only a smile.”
Festival organizers have announced their event schedule, featuring a full schedule of activities and entertainment.
Starting at 10:00am, and continuing throughout the day, will be:
- The Carnival at the Pulaski Club Parking Lot.
- Beer Garden.
- Art Walk (in the Beer Garden).
Also starting at 10:00am, will be:
- Tote Giveaway, courtesy of Podorowsky, Thompson & Baron booth, while supplies last.
- Special performances during the festival: Rhythm Band courtesy of Zieleniak Green Grocery, on the corner of Broad and Grove streets.
- Rich Badowski Blues Band in the Belvedere Café parking lot at Broad and High streets.
- Kasia Kordek, recording artist (on the Main Stage).
Starting at 11:00am, will be:
- Photo opportunities with Stanley the Little Poland Dragon & Friends.
- Fire truck (Open throughout festival).
- Dennis Polisky & the Maestro’s Men, Grammy-nominated polka band (on the Main Stage).
- Joe Rodgers Trio, polka band (on Stage 2).
At 11:30am, will be a performance by New Britain Polish Language School performs (on the Main Stage).
At 11:45am, there will be a Taekwondo demonstration (on the Main Stage)
At 12:00noon – Dennis Polisky & The Maestro’s Men.
At 1:00pm, on the Main Stage, will be the Official Festival Opening and the Little Poland Ambassador Awards.
Also at 1:00pm will be the Broad Street Blues Band (on Stage 2).
Other performances and events throughout the afternoon are:
- 1:30pm – Dennis Polisky & The Maestro’s Men (on the Main Stage)
- 2:00pm – Rafal from Galicia Band (on Stage 2)
- 2:30pm – Polanie folk dance group (on the Main Stage)
- 3:00pm – Jarek & Ola Majka (on Stage 2)
- 3:30pm – Jarek & Ola Majka (on Stage 2)
- 3:15pm – Paczki Eating Contest (on the Main stage)
- 4:00pm – Zumba with Agnieszka from the New Britain YMCA (on the Main Stage)
- 4:00pm – Broad Street Blues Band (on Stage 2).
Since the Little Poland Festival’s first year in 2011, its attendance has been growing, from thousands to tens of thousands.